Who is Modea?
We are a technology consultancy working with healthcare marketing teams to dramatically improve and enhance the digital patient experience. We fundamentally believe that digital tools should provide better control, transparency, and choice for healthcare consumers. Finding a doctor should be as easy as comparing flights with Kayak, and booking an appointment should be as easy as hailing a car with Uber.
Here are a few ways to get to know our work:
What does a Visual Designer do at Modea?
- Check out the Duke Health website. We designed and built the entire thing.
- Find a location at Manatee Healthcare using this mobile app. We design and built the feature set and user experience.
- Search for a doctor at the Carilion Clinic website. We recently helped them transform their site experience and digital tools like search and find-a-doc.
We tackle interesting projects on cross-functional teams made up of software engineers, designers (that’s you), project managers, strategists and analysts. These team members work very closely with each other and the client to design and build awesome, consumer web and mobile experiences. We conduct user research and establish ourselves as the expert on a project team when asked “What’s best for the customer?”
We're currently looking for a hardworking Visual Designer to design beautiful web and mobile user interfaces for some of our best clients. The right person for this role has multiple years of experience designing digital user interfaces for clients, is a great communicator, and understands how to design with a purpose. Ideally, they will also have a sincere interest in learning how to conduct and present UX research. This is a full-time position located at our headquarters in Blacksburg, VA.
Here are a few specific things we’d be looking for you to do
What are you looking for?
Here is a list of skills and qualities that are critical to this role
- Create exciting and effective visual designs: Once the UX research is done, it’s time to put pencil to paper (so to speak) to create high-quality designs that will help the end-user realize greater value from their web or mobile experience.
- Support user experience research and testing: We want you to be connected to the designs you are producing and the goals those designs are working to accomplish. We're looking for someone who has some UX research experience, or at least a strong desire to learn. By getting involved in this work you’ll be able to interview live users of the client’s website or app, develop personas, and conduct research that provides a clear understanding of how design, site architecture, and content can have a positive impact on design.
- Meet project goals and deadlines: We operate a robust project management practice that helps us stay organized and iterate our work to create client value faster. This involves being a part of regular meetings and collaborating with the rest of the team within two-week sprints.
- Bring design best practices to the table: We’d consider you the design expert on each project and would be looking for you to ensure that design best practices are being followed at all times.
Why should I apply?
- Be a great listener and communicator (oral and written)
- Be naturally curious and love problem-solving
- Have experience creating visual designs on multiple, digital projects - ideally in a client-facing setting.
- Enjoy working together with developers to bring a design to life
- Understand the principles and practice of Mobile First and Responsive web design
- Be an expert using industry-standard design software like Sketch, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Have a positive attitude and an inspiring work ethic
- Be able to think commercially and translate business goals into your work product
- Be pleasant to work with and a team player
- Have a college degree or a similar degree of life experience
- Be passionate about design and ready to share your favorite blogs, authors, etc.
- Have at least 1-2 years of work experience in design
First, you’ll love the work we do and the people you’ll get to do it with. We’ve assembled an exceptionally smart and hardworking team and you’ll enjoy the work associations and general camaraderie with other “Modeans.” We also work with great clients who value us and our contributions.
Second, Modea offers a great benefits package that provides both a fun and enjoyable workplace and great perks that will improve your quality of life:
- Flexible paid time off
- Modern, open-plan office
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Team lunch every Friday
- Regular employee events (parties, community service, etc.)
- Company-funded training and development
- Discounted gym membership
- Paid downtown parking
- Generous health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k with fully vested company matching
- Long term & short term disability insurance
The working environment here at Modea is one of accountability and autonomy. We are working to solve big problems. So we expect a lot, but give team members the tools, freedom, and flexibility to come up with great solutions. Together, our team is developing world-class technology that will change the way healthcare is delivered.
If you’ve read to this point you should probably apply. Not ready? Shoot us a note at email@example.com
with any questions.