Who is Modea?
We are a technology consultancy working with healthcare marketing teams to dramatically improve and enhance the digital patient experience. We fundamentally believe that digital tools should provide better control, transparency, and choice for healthcare consumers. Finding a doctor should be as easy as comparing flights with Kayak, and booking an appointment should be as easy as hailing a car with Uber.
Here are a few ways to get to know our work:
What does the UX/UI Design Manager do at Modea?
- Check out the Duke Health website. We designed and built the entire thing.
- Find a location at Manatee Healthcare using this mobile app. We design and built the feature set and user experience.
- Search for a doctor at the Carilion Clinic website. We recently helped them transform their site experience and digital tools like search and find-a-doc.
We tackle interesting projects on cross-functional teams made up of software engineers, designers, project managers, strategists and analysts. These team members work very closely with each other and the client to design and build awesome, consumer web and mobile experiences. We conduct user research and establish ourselves as the expert on a project team when asked: “What’s best for the user?”
We're currently looking for an experienced UX leader to join our team. The right person for this role has experience with both UX research and high fidelity visual design, is a great communicator, and has experience leading and mentoring other designers. This is a full-time position is located at our headquarters in Blacksburg, VA and reports to our highest level of executive leadership.
Here are a few specific things we’d be looking for you to do
What are you looking for?
Here is a list of skills and qualities that are critical to this role
- Provide creative leadership to our design team: We are growing a talented UX/UI Design team at Modea and this role will be critical to ensuring the ongoing growth and development of our designers. We'd be looking for you to mentor our design team, oversee their work, and provide support and feedback.
- Contribute to strategic decisions: This position sits on our management team and we'd be looking for you to discuss and contribute to critical decisions on a diverse range of topics that will drive the strategic direction of our business. Modea is on a steady growth trajectory and we will be looking to you to help us continue on that path.
- Participate in client-facing work: This role will include work on client-facing projects. We want you to be the seasoned voice for design and help us create the right UX strategies and visual designs for our clients. This will mean everything from interviewing users of the client’s website or app, developing personas, and conducting research, to moodboarding and creating compelling visual designs that help our clients realize their goals.
- Bring design best practices to the table: We’d consider you the design expert on the team and we'd be looking for you to ensure that best practices are being followed at all times. We have existing design processes at Modea, but there is still room to innovate and improve what we do.
Why should I apply?
- Be a great listener and communicator (oral and written)
- Be naturally curious and love problem solving
- Have multiple years of experience doing UX and UI design on multiple projects
- Have experience in a client-facing setting
- Be an expert using industry standard design software like Sketch and Photoshop
- Be experienced at leading other people (coaching, mentoring, interviewing, etc.)
- Have a positive attitude and an inspiring work ethic
- Be able to think commercially and translate business goals into your work product
- Be pleasant to work with and a team player
- Have a college degree in a creative or design field (or a similar degree of life experience)
- Be passionate about design and ready to share your favorite blogs, authors, etc.
- Possess a working knowledge of atomic design principles and use of pattern libraries
First, you’ll love the work we do and the people you’ll get to do it with. We’ve assembled an exceptionally smart and hardworking team and you’ll enjoy the work associations and general camaraderie with other “Modeans.” We also work with great clients who value us and our contributions.
Second, Modea offers a great benefit package that provides both a fun and enjoyable workplace and great perks that will improve your quality of life:
- Flexible paid time off
- Modern, open plan office
- Fully stocked snack pantry
- Paid team lunch every Friday
- Regular employee events (parties, community service, etc.)
- Discounted gym membership
- Paid downtown parking
- Generous health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k with fully vested company matching
- Long term & short term disability
The working environment here at Modea is one of accountability and autonomy. We are working to solve big problems. So we expect a lot, but give team members the tools, freedom, and flexibility to come up with great solutions. Together, our team is developing world-class technology that will change the way healthcare is delivered.
If you’ve read to this point you should probably apply. Not ready? Shoot us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org
with any questions.